Just as you have a plan in place to keep your home secure, criminals are constantly planning their activities. It’s a scary but real; criminals, even the chance takers, have some kind of plan in place when it comes to robberies. And some criminals will even scout out potential targets before they break in.
But homeowners who plan the most have the upper hand in any situation, and there are things you can do to prevent criminals from taking a chance. It all comes down to having the right approach. We’ve shared security tips in the past, and in this article, we’ll be sharing a few more helpful ways to keep your home secure.
Make use of electric fences
Firstly, no one likes to get shocked. And secondly, having to get over an electric fence without being harmed is actually more hassle than it is worth.
When having your electric fence installed, you need to make sure that you are working with the right company so that you can be sure that they follow the industry guidelines. To get the most out of your fence, be sure of the following:
- The wire should be highly-conductive so that it is capable of delivering the right amount of energy.
- The fence should be kept permanently on and it should always be working.
- No wires should be loose. Loose wires can enable criminals to lift the bottom wires and easily get into the yard.
- Electric fences should be set up on a strong wall rather than a wall that can be easily broken.
- In times of load shedding or electricity outages, a battery should be in place and it should be working.
- When the fence is touched, an alarm should go off. If you find that your alarm is going off repeatedly, don’t turn the fence off. Oftentimes criminals trigger the alarm in the hope that you turn off the fence.
Invest in a good gate
Motorised gates are always a great option as you won’t have to leave the safety of your vehicle when entering your property. Be sure to have a gate that cannot be lifted off the rails, and have your motor properly secured with an anti-theft bracket. Any other gates you should have on the property need to be secured with a padlock or a cylinder lock.
The home automation system is one of the best investments you will ever make in your security. Available as a phone app, these systems will allow you to lock and unlock doors, control the CCTV system, and allow you to activate and deactivate alarms. OnGuard has some of the best automation systems.
- Have a CCTV system on the perimeter of your home as well as in your home.
- Relook at your doors and locks. Make sure both are strong and won’t be easily broken.
- Have burglar proofing on your windows.